From Jennifer, earlier today:
Our dear, sweet Riley is suffering no more. He passed away yesterday afternoon. I am sure he will be greeted by his Heavenly Father and his earthly Father, with open arms and big smiles.
A Memorial Service will be held for Riley
this Saturday at 11am,
at Church of the Reconciler, CEC
4601 Gary Avenue
Fairfield, AL 35064
Riley’s favorite color was green, and so I’d like every one to wear a little green as we celebrate his homegoing. We will mourn our loss for a long time, but Saturday, let’s celebrate the Life of Riley.
From Jennifer this morning:
After 2 weeks in the hospital, we are taking Riley home on Hospice. The disease burden is too much, and has started to cause a few other problems. No one knows the number of their days, and we do not want to speculate, just to enjoy the time that we have left with our precious son, brother and grandson. Please keep us in your prayers. Please continue to pray for a miracle.
The MRI revealed a few more tumors, which were probably there before, just on a microscopic level. The areas of the previous tumors are a little larger or inflamed. If they are inflamed, that means that the medicine is targeting the cancer cells, which would be good. If it is not inflammation, then that would mean the cancer is continuing to grow despite the medicine. The doctor said that based on Riley’s symptoms, and how his body is reacting to them, he is hopeful that it is inflammation.
Even though we can’t be 100% sure, we are remaining hopeful, and continuing with the current treatment.
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” – Hebrews 11:1
Jen shared this morning:
This has been a crazy couple of weeks, to say the least. As some of you may know, I have had to take Riley to the Emergency Department several times. Because he has a vascular port (which is how he receives his IV chemo) any sign of a fever means an automatic visit. He has passed all blood tests (CBC and blood culture tests) and no infections have been found, counts have been fine. So we have been told that it could be a viral thing, which has to be waited out. The other possibility is that it is his new medication, which could cause an inflammatory response, meaning that it is doing what it should. It is too early to tell. Riley will have an MRI Monday night, and we should have more information a few days after that. Please pray that it is the medicine working, and that he will start to feel better soon. Pray that my “mother’s intuition” would remain intact. Pray for the rest of the boys… they have been so understanding during these least few weeks. I am blessed beyond measure to be surrounded by these boys!
Please continue to pray for Riley as he continues with this new treatment plan. He has had some challenges this week (June 18th-24th). The next MRI is July 3rd. We continue to covet your prayers and support for him, Jennifer, and the boys.
From Jennifer on June 18th:
Riley’s next MRI will be July 3, and we won’t have any results for a few days, which will make for an extremely long week. Pray that this medicine is working.
In the meantime, we plan to fill the next few weeks with lots of distractions, rest and prayer. The photo below is from our Lighthouse Retreat, which provided so much of that rest. We are so thankful to those who contributed their time and money to make this happen. The boys and l loved the retreat and the new friendships made this past week.
It is so good to be home! For those that don’t know, Riley had a seizure Tuesday afternoon. The result of coming off of one chemo, the steps to get ready for and the beginning of the next chemo had caused some swelling in his head. So much so, that he was having stroke-like symptoms, which in turn caused the seizure. I tell you mothering isn’t easy. But every day I thank God for my awesome support group – that’s my family, my friends, Riley’s doctors & nurses, all so willing to help and be there for us. My prayer warriors – you are warriors! And Riley – this kid is a fighter! Yesterday when we left the hospital he was able to walk out on his own and had begun to go back to his “normal” self. Please continue to lift him up, as this is just the first month on his new medicine. Pray that no more cancer will find a way around this medicine, and that the new medicine will attack those cancer cells! Pray that the swelling in his head will go down, that his speech and his vision return to 100%… that his endurance and his appetite for life (and cheeseburgers : ) will keep improving. Much love to you all!
The radiation is working.
Tumors are stable or smaller. The areas that were radiated as far back as the first radiation in April of 2016 and the most recent in October of 2016 are continuing to remain clean. There is also “less disease burden in the spine”, meaning it’s a lot smaller. Nothing new has popped up. We will start a new chemo on Monday. This MRI was done a little earlier than usual, so we still expect to see effects of the radiation treatment within the next few months.
Thanks be to God, and to all of you who are a constant encouragement and source of support for our family.
For those that like to pray for the specifics: pray that this new round of chemo (with the aid of the radiation) will keep any new tumors from popping up, and that this horrible cancer will not find a way around the chemo!
From Jennifer this morning:
Well, I’m almost a week late, but Riley completed this round of radiation this past Tuesday. The last two weeks of radiation were exhausting for Riley, but he is starting to feel better. His next step is to get MRIs of the brain and spinal column on Monday, May 1 & Tuesday, May 2nd. Keep lifting up our family, we need a miracle.
Riley will begin his radiation today. Please join us in praying for his strength and peace during this process, as well as strength and peace for his mom, his brothers and family, and all who love him.